Getting Rid Of Overweight For Middle-aged And Elderly People
With age, it becomes more difficult to get rid of overweight. This is especially true of women: reaching middle age, it is especially difficult to lose a few kilograms, which may harm their health. The Medical Center at the University of Pittsburgh has developed a new strategy that will help women after menopause not only lose weight, but also to keep the result achieved.
Overweight, or obesity, increases the risk of violations such as diabetes and ischemic heart disease. Full women are more likely to develop various cancers, including: uterine cancer, cervical cancer, breast cancer, and possibly ovarian cancer. In addition, obesity and osteoarthritis of the knees are associated with overweight.
Younger people tend to have more muscles, and this promotes better metabolism and burning more calories at rest. As we get older, the weight that accumulates in the form of fat is metabolically less active, so we burn fewer calories a day. In addition, during the menopause in the body of a woman hormonal changes occur. They disrupt some functions of the body, which further complicates weight loss.
Dr. Bethany Baron Gibbs, assistant professor at the Department of Health and Physical Education, and her colleagues, analyzed data from over 500 overweight women aged 50-60 years and older. Some of these women participated in a program of intensive nutrition and physical activity, and the second part of the participants in the experiment underwent a less focused and more general program. All women kept diaries of their food for 4 years.
As expected, women subjected to a more intensive regime lost more weight. These women ate less fried foods, tried not to eat sweets, less often went to a restaurant, in general, followed the typical recommendations of doctors and nutritionists.
However, most of us are not able to adhere to a strict diet for a long time, so the weight lost eventually returns. What methods, in the opinion of scientists, will help women lose weight and not recruit it again after a while?
Obviously, it is very important to give up sugar: as few desserts and sweet drinks as possible. However, the most effective was the rejection of high-calorie meat and cheese in favor of fruits and vegetables.
How to protect yourself from the risk of obesity-promoting toxins created by the foods you eat. Weight loss meets healthy eating in this brand new book from Brad. Learn More
In addition, the results of the study should please women who like to go to a restaurant. Refusal of restaurants, perhaps, helped to lose weight for a short period of time, but in the long run it did not matter. It is believed that this is most likely due to the fact that women who managed to cope with excess weight, just changed their habits, i.e. reduced their portions and began to eat less caloric food, and did not sit on a short-term severe diet.
The importance of physical exercise in middle and old age
This particular study did not take into account sports, however, it is a key component of maintaining health in the aging process. Even if you do not lose weight by a kilogram, a 50-year-old woman who is engaged in sports is much less likely to get a chronic illness than the one that leads an immobile lifestyle.
This week, the results of another study, conducted in the medical center of the University of Texas at Dallas, were published. In this study, data from more than 18,600 healthy men and women over the age of 26 were analyzed.
Women with active lifestyles have a 20% reduction in the risk of chronic diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, rectal cancer or lung cancer, chronic kidney disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, stroke, coronary heart disease, diabetes and congestive heart failure.
It was found that even a slight increase in physical activity in middle age reduces the risk of developing chronic diseases later. It is never too late to start sports.
If you are starting to exercise after 50 for the first time, consult a doctor, especially if you already have chronic illnesses, or if you are at risk due to smoking, high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
Basic recommendations for sports
A full set of exercises should include elements of aerobics, strength training and stretching exercises and flexibility.
Aerobics classes. Walking, jogging, dancing: all these are types of aerobics. They involve the main muscles of the body, which has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system, as well as on weight. One lesson should last at least 20 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week. Do exercises at a pace that you can keep up the conversation. This method of control is called a “conversation test”.
Strength exercises. Lifting weights strengthens muscles, improves posture, reduces the risk of trauma to the waist, raises the tone. Start with a weight lifting, with which you can handle without effort 8 times. Gradually increase the number of times to 12.
Stretching. Exercises for stretching help maintain flexibility and improve the mobility of joints. They reduce the risk of injury to the waist and pain in the muscles. For stretching, it is useful to do yoga or gymnastics pilates; these exercises help develop the strength and stability of the body.
- Health Benefits Of Vegetable Oils
- How You Can Quit Smoking
- Paleo Diet: Main Points – Learn More
- Vegetarianism Is A Fashion Or Vital Necessity
- Improve Vision In 7 Days (9 Exercises) – No Medication!
- How Does Our Breathing Influence The Organism?
- Water. Myth of the Dangers of Drinking During Meals
Diet with heart problems
Heart problems require special attention to nutrition. At the same time, some products should be limited, and some should be introduced into a constant diet.
1. It is necessary not to afford much salt. The fact is that salt has the property of fluid retention in the body. And this, in turn, provokes swelling that hampers the normal functioning of the heart.
2. It is necessary to be very careful about fatty foods of animal origin (such as fatty pork, lamb, butter, offal, pates). Do not get involved in eggs and mayonnaise, which may well replace olive oil, which does not allow cholesterol plaques to be deposited on the walls of the vessels.
3. You need as often as possible to eat foods high in fiber. Fiber reduces the level of bad cholesterol, cleanses the intestines, protects against some of the types of cancer, makes it possible to quickly saturate. Among other things, fiber contributes to weight loss. It is peculiar to fill the stomach, satisfying the feeling of hunger without attracting extra calories. Fiber can be obtained by eating legumes, sea cabbage, oats, bran, fruit, vegetables.
4. It is not advisable to get involved in baking and fresh bread. It is better to eat bread crumbs, cooked from bran or black bread.
5. It is useful to drink a weak green tea, reducing both blood pressure and blood sugar.